Becoming an actuary in New Zealand

Our Rules set out the entry requirements for Fellows and Associates of other actuarial bodies who move to New Zealand.

At a high level, actuaries who are Fellows or Associates of a recognised overseas actuarial institute can apply for the equivalent designation of the NZ Society of Actuaries once they are working in New Zealand.  A list of the overseas actuarial bodies are listed at the bottom of this page.

A Fellow of another actuarial body that is a full member of the International Actuarial Association, and who is working in New Zealand, may apply to become an Associate of the NZ Society of Actuaries. Eligibility to transfer to Fellowship is based on meeting the requirements of guidelines set by Council from time to time.

Currently the guidelines require working in New Zealand for three years in a role which provides for the gaining of suitable experience in local actuarial practice, attendance at a recognised professionalism course, maintenance of the membership of the relevant overseas actuarial association and endorsement by a Fellow of the NZ Society of Actuaries. The period of three years may be reduced, at the discretion of Council, for actuaries with significant overseas experience which qualifies them well for their work in New Zealand.

Please note that the information on this page is a guide only and the Rules, and where the Rules allow it, the discretion of Council, prevail at all times.

If you have further questions or are unclear about your eligibility, please contact us with details of your specific circumstances.

If you are moving to New Zealand and hold a qualification from a professional body which is not on the list above, or are considering studying through such a body, please refer to the information above.

Residence requirements

To become an Associate or Fellow, you have to be ordinarily resident in New Zealand or Australia (or in the view of Council, be familiar with New Zealand conditions).

Become a member

If you would like to become a member of the NZSA, refer to the membership application form.  Further details on the entry requirements for new members are provided on this site.

Recognised overseas actuarial bodies

In order to become an Associate or Fellow you have to achieve the equivalent designation with one of the following actuarial bodies.

Interested in becoming an actuary? Talk to us.