General Insurance Committee – Terms of Reference
- Provide a forum for discussion of Society members’ concerns and ideas relating to general insurance.
- Comment on issues relating to general insurance.
- Foster good relations with regulators of general insurance companies.
- Create, review and update professional standards and information notes for actuaries practising in general insurance in New Zealand.
- Advise on adherence to relevant professional standards and information notes when requested.
- To be responsible to Council for (a), the strategic direction of the profession’s activities in the general insurance area, and (b), supporting those activities.
- To identify and promote opportunities for actuarial involvement in the general insurance area; to support and encourage the growth of actuarial involvement in general insurance.
- To represent the views of the Society in general insurance on legislation and related matters such as statutory returns, accounting principles, risk, regulation and current issues as they arise.
- To communicate and consult with members of the NZSA practicing in the general insurance area and the Council on matters relating to general insurance.
- To identify, in conjunction with the Education Committee, the education needs of students and actuaries working in the general insurance area, including organising and/or actively promoting CPD opportunities in this area.
- To encourage research in areas relating to actuarial involvement in general insurance.
- Liaise with other committees to encourage and promote CPD opportunities.
- Liaise with committees of overseas actuarial bodies as necessary.