Health Committee – Terms of Reference
- Provide a forum for professional support and development of actuaries practising in healthcare financing.
- Comment on issues relating to health funding or health insurance.
- Create and foster relationships with external parties including the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Social Development, NZ Treasury, Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), Health Funds Association of NZ (HFANZ), and Reserve Bank of NZ (RBNZ).
- Provide a forum for discussion of Society members’ concerns and ideas relating to public and private funding of healthcare.
- Create, review and update professional standards and information notes for actuaries practising in Healthcare financing in New Zealand.
- Advise on adherence to relevant professional standards and information notes when requested.
- To be responsible to Council for (a), the strategic direction of the profession’s activities in the Healthcare financing, and (b), supporting those activities.
- To identify and promote opportunities for actuarial involvement in the Health sector; to support and encourage the growth of actuarial involvement in the Health sector.
- To represent the views of the Society in Health insurance on legislation and related matters such as statutory returns, accounting principles, risk, regulation and current issues as they arise.
- To communicate and consult with members of the Society practicing in the Healthcare financing area and the Council on matters relating to Healthcare financing.
- To identify, in conjunction with the Education Committee, the education needs of students and actuaries working in Healthcare financing including organising and/or actively promoting CPD opportunities in this area.
- To encourage research in areas relating to actuarial involvement in the Health sector.
- Liaise with other committees to encourage and promote CPD opportunities.
- Liaise with committees of overseas actuarial bodies as necessary.