Actuaries are experts in assessing the financial impact of tomorrow’s uncertain events. They enable financial decisions to be made with more confidence by:
- Analysing the past
- Modelling the future
- Assessing the risks involved
- Communicating what the results mean in financial terms.
Actuaries are characterised by four key qualities:
- Technical capability in terms of data analysis, financial mathematics, risk management and economics;
- Commercial acumen as we understand the businesses we work in and the external environment that they operate in;
- Communication to see beyond the numbers and draw out key insights to improve the management of a business; and
- Professionalism as we act with integrity and are bound by a Code of Conduct.
Actuaries understand a wide range of technical disciplines. It is this specific combination of qualities and skills that make actuaries different and enable them to add value to your organisation.